Monday, March 16, 2009

Back in the day

My first yarn shop, Amityville, NY, circa 1993

For those of you who don't already know me or do not frequent our shop or website (http://www.villageknitter.com/), please allow me a formal introduction. After all, who am I and why should you even be reading this? Does the world really need yet another knitting blog? (Answer: YES YES!) Like many of you, I was not actually born with knitting needles in hand. Newly married, I was inspired to knit by my mother-in-law's Florida poolside knitting group. In 95 degree heat, in bathing suits and coverups, there they were actually knitting angora Anny Blatt sweaters! I had to have one and I had to make it myself. Back home in New York City, I enrolled in an adult ed class with 24 students and one frazzled instructor. Needless to say, I was immediately smitten and the rest is, you know, history. Within no time, I was teaching others, designing patterns and signing a lease on a simply charming space in the quaint suburban village where I had recently moved. Perfectly timed to my son's first full day of kindergarten and daughter's first day of nursery school, I breathlessly flew open the doors of my first yarn shop. Never mind that this was 1993 and knitting, not being what it is today, there were maybe all of six knitters within a 50 mile radius, including myself. I was determined to spread the WORD and ignite the world with the power of knitting. Never mind also, things like child care, endless class trips and paying the rent. In retrospect, I suppose I was really just a few years ahead of the soon-to-come knitting explosion. And although the needs of my growing family took priority and forced me to sell my beloved little shop, I certainly wasn't finished inspiring others to knit. In fact, I had only just begun.

No comments: