Monday, March 16, 2009

The Non-Knitting Years

As I wrote in my previous post, the opening day of my first yarn shop coincided nicely with my son's first day of kindergarten. Ironically, the opening day of my current shop coincided with his first week of college. (I'll let you do the math). The years between are mostly a nonstop blur of the usual family hyperactivity. Besides having a third child, my inability to say no to anyone for anything pretty much kept me out of the knitting loop. (To be honest, it was really too painful to think about knitting). One thing led to another, as they often do. A casual soapmaking hobby led to accounts with Bed Bath & Beyond and HomeGoods. My occasional freelance food writing led to a guest appearance on the Food Network; and finally, filling in at my kids' school led to a permanent position teaching French. However, although I barely had time to cast on a scarf project, the voices of the knitting demons inside my head kept getting louder and louder. "Go back," they screamed. Could I really do that? If so, I knew I had a lot of catching up to do.

No comments: